Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I WAS HERE

I am seating here watching Kenya and the world mourn a true hero. I know we throw the word about more often than not when a person dies. But I truly mean it, Wangari Muta Maathai, is undoubtedly one of Africa’s greatest daughters. I am watching her memorial and I get to thinking. How did an ordinary Kenyan girl get to become such a hero? It took her 71 years but she sure made a mark, it’s not enough that she was the first woman in sub Saharan Africa to earn a doctorate, she also went on to be the first woman Nobel laureate. The way I see it, She was really was ‘unbowed’ to the end.
I often get inspired by everyday occurrences, be they ordinary or extraordinary. Lately thought, it seems we are leaning more towards the extra ordinary, with heaven getting a major facelift I mean they have gotten 3 amazing people that would transform any place into wonderland. I’d bet Wangari is already saving the environment up there,  Steve Jobs is probably  already working on the next generation of the iPad while Margaret Ogola another great heroin is writing another epic tale that will change the way heaven sees women forever.
Having said this I would say it has been a sad two weeks as I feel that these 3 people have gone too soon. This may not seem so to most people, but I marvel at the thought of what more they would have achieved with a little more time. I will however, not mourn but celebrate these greats. I pride myself on being a champion for environmental conservation and this is why I will plant a tree (just like 5000 other people) to commemorate her life.
So, here I am trying my best to find my niche and make a change and I can’t help but be inspired, by all these awesome people, to strive to find my way.  I will change the world or at least my little corner of it. I will therefore try to remain unbowed as I find my way and ensure when I am gone some legacy will remind the world that ‘I was here’


No comments:

Post a Comment